John Manke is an active former Bay View resident who is involved in numerous neighborhood organizations, including the Bay View Historical Society, the Humboldt Park Fourth of July Association and the Shore Shore Farmers Market. He believes Bay View has a fine tradition in its past that we do not want to lose in the future.
SOUTHWEST BORDER WALK
9:30 AM, SATURDAY, AUGUST 6, 2011
Registration -- 9:00 AM at Unity Lutheran Church, 1025 E. Oklahoma Ave. Participants will tour the church, built in 1939 with additions in 1949 and 1967.
Here are some of the Highlights:
St. Luke's Espiscopal Church, 3200 S. Herman St., built in 1951 when the congregation moved from its original home at 1114 E. Russell Ave.
The cream city brick, Gothic revival home of Henry J. Riesen, 3174 S. Herman St.
Nash/American Motors/Chrysler Motor Company, 3280 S. Clement Ave;. founded by Charles Nash.
The brick farmhouse of the Gombar Family at 3273 S. Clement Ave. built in 1877.
Christ Church built in 1940 at 915 E. Oklahoma Ave. The orginal wooden Gothic revival church (1896) still stands atb2644 S. Pine Ave. (not on tour).
The red brick Humboldt Park School, 3230 S. Adams St., built in 1930 to replace the orginal Town of Lake school.
Nordberg Manufacturing, 3079 S. Chase Ave. was founded in 1886 by Bruno Nordberg. The plant is now occupied by South Milwaukee's Bucyrus International.
Taqueria Azteca, 119 E. Oklahoma Ave. was originally a rooming house for Nordberg employees and then a restaurant to entertain visitors and sales people. Later the restaurant was open to the public as Ye Olde Dinner Bell.
The E.H. Liebenstein Blacksmith Shop stood at 2759 S. Howell Ave. before being razed in 1932.
Fritsche Middle School, 2957 S. Howell Ave. was built in 1963 to ease crowding at Bay View High School.
Gauer Circle was named after BayView Alderman Paul Gauer by real estate developer Henry Otjen.
For more information, contact Ron Winkler (414) 744-9404.