NOW:53209:USA01012
http://widgets.journalinteractive.com/cache/JIResponseCacher.ashx?duration=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.wp.myweather.net%2FeWxII%2F%3Fdata%3D*USA01012
70°
H 70° L 59°
Clear | 6MPH

The Menomonee Falls School District, which received complaints about mosh pits and "grinding" after last fall's homecoming dance, is deciding whether or not to allow these kinds of dances at the upcoming turnabout dance. Grinding is when two or more dancers rub against each other, often in a sexually suggestive way.

What do you think? Is grinding something that should be banned? Or is banning it an overreaction? Let us know what you think in our forum.

See related story.

107 Comments for "Should 'grinding' be allowed at high school dances?"

1. Let them dance... they are in a builiding, accompanied by teachers and other adults. They can't exactly have sex when they are supervised. Let them express themselves on the dance floor.. it just might keep them from expressing themselves under the covers.
    On the issue of letting alumni attend dances and other kids from other schools: I disagree. They don't need to be there, nor do they belong. It may cause more problems than grinding. Sounds like just another way to make money

Maryanne Jan 22, 2010 8:40 AM

Private Message

2. Perhaps more parents should volunteer to attend one of these school dances and witness these "dance styles" for themselves. I would personally take exception to any boy "grinding" his genital area against any part of my teen daughters body.

Why does a "dance" excuse this type of behavior? Would a parent allow it to occur in their living room? How about in your daughters bedroom? Schools don't allow kissing in school but we allow the grinding of genitalia? What's wrong with this picture?

Jack Jan 22, 2010 9:45 AM

Private Message

3. I'm 68 and my wife turns 65 this week-end. We're going out for dinner and then we're going to find a bar with live music and do a little grinding ourselves!!

rocstr Jan 22, 2010 10:14 AM

Private Message

4. I don't know what the problem is here. With the Blackberries, the i-phones, the texting and sexting, the music, e-mail and video and all the other real important things in this universe, why would we complain about our teens getting excercise no matter what form it's in. It'll just take them that much longer to all become vegtables which should be a good thing!

Rock Jan 22, 2010 11:02 AM

Private Message

5. It is not acceptable anytime, anywhere. Period. It just gets the juices flowin' and they'll be banging each other soon after. If you don't want to get burned, don't play with fire. Sex is designed for use exclusively between a man and a woman within the bonds of marriage. Think otherwise? Ask Tiger Woods what he now thinks...

BJH Jan 22, 2010 1:49 PM

Private Message

6. I think the Rock (alias rocstr) needs a little grinding..............to his personality.

Harold Jan 22, 2010 3:21 PM

Private Message

7. This blatantly sexual behavior has no place in school, be it extracurricular activity or not. There are plenty of ways to express oneself w/o rubbing up against someone. My daughter's Middle School has a policy strictly banning this, which is the right thing to do. For parents that think that sending the message that this kind of dancing is "fine", host the party at YOUR own house, with kids from families who share your opinions on the acceptability of this

sanskritmama Jan 22, 2010 4:28 PM

Private Message

8. I knew we shouldn't have allowed Elvis and that whole Rock and Roll thing ... god forbid!

Peter Jan 22, 2010 4:46 PM

Private Message

9. "Grinding" is not dancing. Even if it was, a high school dance is not a place to simulate sex. There are plenty of fun forms of dance, from Hip Hop to the Lindy Hop, that won't encourage teenage pregnancies at the end of the night. Perhaps our schools could teach kids how to dance for real in phy-ed rather than let them think with their genitals and do whatever dance results. Is this asking too much?

PoorInRichfield Jan 22, 2010 5:12 PM

Private Message

10. If you analyze the State Statutes and the various degrees of sexual assault you will find many areas of the body are protected. It is a fact that making intentional contact with one's genitalia with another person (grinding) is a violation of the state statute. That said, this problem is common in many High Schools.

MadProud Jan 22, 2010 5:13 PM

Private Message

11. They grew up watching it on TV, you didn't turn it off, they're just emulating what they saw. The horse is out of the barn, to late, let em dance.

wendy Jan 22, 2010 11:22 PM

Private Message

12. Hey Jack,

You might take exception to it but I bet your daughter loves it!

Ted Jan 23, 2010 8:42 AM

Private Message

13. Just because we want to dance this way doesn't mean it's bad. There's nothing we do on the dance floor you can't see in an R-rated film--it's not like we're getting naked or anything. Besides, all this is about is old people forgetting to have a little fun. Everyone simulates things when they're dancing they want to do later.

Tiffany W Jan 23, 2010 10:38 AM

Private Message

14. O the problems we have in the suburbs... MPS is giving out condoms and we can't even let our kids dance the way they want.

Darren Jan 23, 2010 1:33 PM

Private Message

15. Parents are only allowed for a very limited time at our high school dances. They are not allowed to be chaperones.

Gypsy Jan 23, 2010 4:16 PM

Private Message

Limit of 2000 characters,  characters remaining

Topic Preview

Discussion guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use

Please login to post a comment.

Most Popular

Local Crime Map

CONNECT    

Latest Photo Galleries