The West Allis-West Milwaukee School District expects to receive $2.1 million from a federal jobs bill and it will use it to help fund the 2011-12 budget.
The money is part of the federal Education Jobs Fund, designed to save teacher jobs. Districts must spend the money by September 2012.
West Allis-West Milwaukee anticipates a $6 million shortfall in the 2011-12 school year, so administrators decided to spend the money then.
"This will go a long way in saving jobs and maintaining programs," Business Director Deb Rouse said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis to fight loss of buildings from adding bicycle lanes
- In Our Schools: May 7, 2015
- The destructiveness of pessimism relived in West Allis play
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Hales Corners police report: May 7, 2015 issue
- Greenfield Board of Health to consider allowing beekeeping
- Greendale police report: May 7, 2015 issue
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Greenfield restaurant chases dollars for homeless pets
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: May 7