The West Allis-West Milwaukee School District expects to receive $2.1 million from a federal jobs bill and it will use it to help fund the 2011-12 budget.
The money is part of the federal Education Jobs Fund, designed to save teacher jobs. Districts must spend the money by September 2012.
West Allis-West Milwaukee anticipates a $6 million shortfall in the 2011-12 school year, so administrators decided to spend the money then.
"This will go a long way in saving jobs and maintaining programs," Business Director Deb Rouse said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- West Allis police report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: May 28, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- Nearly $100,000 in grants recommended for Muskego businesses
- Babies develop language skills with sign in New Berlin
- Get your hot dog on at Orchard Lane Elementary party
- Whitnall stages award-winning theater production