Three children were left alone in a vehicle at 60th Street and North Avenue for 45 minutes while their parents shopped for beer and movies Saturday afternoon.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A car parked behind Buy Rite Liquor, 6002 W. North Ave., about 4:30 p.m. An employee noticed the vehicle had not moved, even though there were no customers in his store. On closer inspection he found three children - an 8-year-old girl and two boys, ages 7 and 4 - in the back seat.
At 5:15 p.m., the Milwaukee parents returned to their vehicle carrying a six-pack of beer and three DVDs from a nearby entertainment store. They said they didn't want to bring the children into a liquor store and they felt in the mood to look for some movies.
Since they often leave their 8-year-old daughter in charge of the younger children, they felt the concern for their safety was unwarranted. The windows had been rolled down.
The kids were turned over to their grandfather and the Child Welfare Bureau was called.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old mother was arrested on a warrant for theft from the Greenfield Police Department and the 26-year-old father was picked up for a traffic warrant from Menomonee Falls.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015