A sports bar with stripper poles? Tosa officials concerned about elements in Mad Dog proposal
Stripper poles, a large stage for entertainment and lack of an operating plan didn't win Mad Dog Saloon any points with Plan Commission on Monday night.
Dominic LaLicata applied to open the bar in the Village at 6750 W. State St., where an Applebee's currently operates. The Applebee's is set to close at a later date. LaLicata owns a Mad Dog Saloon in Greenfield, as well as Boulder Junction restaurant in Brookfield and Crazy Horse strip club in West Allis.
LaLicata pitched his business as a sports bar, but Mayor Jill Didier voiced concern that the set up at the Greenfield location might show otherwise.
"Rumor has it you have a couple of stripper poles in your establishment," said Didier, chairwoman of the commission.
LaLicata called the poles "a gimmick," comparing it to the giant pepper people can ride at La Perla in Milwaukee.
"We might have a contest where if people climb to the top the pole, they get a prize," he said. "Five times as many men have climbed the pole as women."
The mayor also quizzed the bar owner about police calls to the Greenfield location, a "scantily clad" woman welcoming visitors on the Mad Dog Saloon website and why he thinks his business would be a good fit for the Village. Many of those questions were evaded with talk about the food and drink specials he plans to run and his willingness to open a new business in this economy.
Commissioners were troubled about the lack of detail provided by LaLicata as far as an operating plan and facility layout. Commissioners cited his mention of wanting to include a pool table, arcade and dart games, but they appeared nowhere on the site plan. He didn't provide information on the type of entertainment he planned to offer or the percentage of alcohol to food sales.
The commission unanimously voted to hold the request until LaLicata could bring back some answers. Meanwhile, Applebee's remains open for business.
- 2016 Fourth of July events in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Roundup of 2016 Memorial Day events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012 (3)
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February
- Newsroom leads the state in WNA contest