Forest Park Middle School teacher Mary Fassbender is one of five Wisconsin educators being considered for Presidential Teaching Awards, the nation's highest honor for mathematics and science teachers.
Fassbender teaches seventh and eighth grade.
"These teachers have been singled out by their peers, parents and former students, or school administrators as exceptional educators," State Superintendent Tony Evers said in a press release. "They represent the dedication of the many individuals who work with our students in Wisconsin classrooms throughout the school year. I congratulate them."
Following their nomination, each director completed application materials addressing how they met criteria, including mastery of content knowledge, use of instructional methods and strategies, effective use of assessment, reflective practice and lifelong learning and leadership in education outside the classroom.
A committee organized by the National Science Foundation may select one teacher of mathematics and one of science to receive presidential awards from each state and four U.S. jurisdictions. Winners receive $10,000 and a certificate signed by the president.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015