Two Brookfield men were charged with possessing heroin after one of the men allegedly overdosed on the drug in a Waukesha apartment.
Christopher R. Reistad, 22, and Cale J. Russo, 21, were charged with felony counts of possession of narcotic drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Aug. 3.
They are scheduled to make initial court appearances Aug. 22.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha police officers and paramedics were called to an apartment in the 1200 block of Lambeth Road for a possible overdose in October.
Russo was unconscious and Reistad was sitting on a couch, mumbling incoherently.
Russo was rushed to Waukesha Memorial Hospital and gained consciousness in the ambulance on the way.
Reistad, who struggled to keep his eyes open and answer questions, handed an officer a pill bottle containing 0.1 grams of marijuana when asked what he had taken. He was taken to the hospital, where he vomited pills that were too digested to identify.
At the apartment, officers found a spoon encrusted with heroin residue in Reistad's room and a knife encrusted with heroin residue in Russo's room.
Syringes and other prescription pills were found throughout the apartment.
Russo later told officers he had injected a half-gram of heroin - $90 worth - before he lost consciousness.
He also said he had been taking heroin and prescription pills two or three times a day.
In addition to the narcotic and paraphernalia charges, Reistad was charged with possessing marijuana. He faces a maximum sentence of more than four years in prison.
If Russo is convicted of possessing narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia, he faces a maximum sentence of more than 3½ years in prison.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- GHS alumnus founds prominent student organization at UW-Madison
- City of Waukesha seeks grant for trail land acquisition
- Montessori School in Waukesha expanding its campus
- Ambulance fees increasing by 5 percent in the city of Waukesha
- Site of former Kmart in Waukesha on Sunset Drive will be redeveloped
- Xperience Fitness, Dollar Tree already committed to old Kmart site
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 18, 2014
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: Dec. 18, 2014
- Waukesha Slender Man stabbing suspects both found competent to proceed
- South Shore Police report: Dec. 25, 2014 issue