Two Brookfield men were charged with possessing heroin after one of the men allegedly overdosed on the drug in a Waukesha apartment.
Christopher R. Reistad, 22, and Cale J. Russo, 21, were charged with felony counts of possession of narcotic drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Aug. 3.
They are scheduled to make initial court appearances Aug. 22.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha police officers and paramedics were called to an apartment in the 1200 block of Lambeth Road for a possible overdose in October.
Russo was unconscious and Reistad was sitting on a couch, mumbling incoherently.
Russo was rushed to Waukesha Memorial Hospital and gained consciousness in the ambulance on the way.
Reistad, who struggled to keep his eyes open and answer questions, handed an officer a pill bottle containing 0.1 grams of marijuana when asked what he had taken. He was taken to the hospital, where he vomited pills that were too digested to identify.
At the apartment, officers found a spoon encrusted with heroin residue in Reistad's room and a knife encrusted with heroin residue in Russo's room.
Syringes and other prescription pills were found throughout the apartment.
Russo later told officers he had injected a half-gram of heroin - $90 worth - before he lost consciousness.
He also said he had been taking heroin and prescription pills two or three times a day.
In addition to the narcotic and paraphernalia charges, Reistad was charged with possessing marijuana. He faces a maximum sentence of more than four years in prison.
If Russo is convicted of possessing narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia, he faces a maximum sentence of more than 3½ years in prison.
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- 2016 Fourth of July events in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Roundup of 2016 Memorial Day events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February