The 8th District Senate recall race on Tuesday ended in a familiar way: waiting on Waukesha County. According to unofficial results, Republican Sen. Alberta Darling received 9,052 votes to Democrat Rep. Sandy Pasch's 4,567 with a 67 percent voter turnout.
The northwestern part of the district was supposed to be key for Darling as she had conservative strongholds in Menomonee Falls, Germantown and Mequon. Results for most of the night favored Pasch until Waukesha County results came in.
In the end, Falls, which Pasch won in the primary against the Republican protest candidate, proved to be the decisive blow to Pasch's bid at unseating Darling. The race also set up to be for control of the Senate with two Democrats having already upset Republican incumbents, needing a third to complete the flip.
With two recalls against Democratic Senators still to come, the Republicans assured themselves the majority in the Senate for at least the next year, although current Senate Republicans not facing recalls have been fundraising heavily to prepare for any further recall attempts next year when other legislators, including Gov. Scott Walker become eligible.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Photo Essay: Faces of the 2015 Wisconsin State Fair
- In photos: Community marks three year anniversary of Sikh Temple shooting
- Juggling multiple new projects, Rick Springfield returns to Mequon for Gathering on the Green
- Oak Creek police report: July 9, 2015 issue
- Still in the picture: Pixologie continues to grow photo service
- Franklin police report: July 9, 2015 issue