A 70-year-old man killed himself outside Village Hall Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
Police Lt. Ron Stefanski said the man, a village resident, was suffering from a painful illness but, as far as the department knows, left no notes. His wife told police he left the house to pick up more pain medication.
A village employee looked out of his office at 12:50 p.m. and saw the man lying on the ground next to a picnic table on the north side of the building. He went outside to check on the man, saw blood and a gun, and called police.
Stefanski said the North Shore Fire Department was called, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the .380-caliber semi-automatic gun recovered at the scene belonged to the man.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015