A 70-year-old man killed himself outside Village Hall Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
Police Lt. Ron Stefanski said the man, a village resident, was suffering from a painful illness but, as far as the department knows, left no notes. His wife told police he left the house to pick up more pain medication.
A village employee looked out of his office at 12:50 p.m. and saw the man lying on the ground next to a picnic table on the north side of the building. He went outside to check on the man, saw blood and a gun, and called police.
Stefanski said the North Shore Fire Department was called, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the .380-caliber semi-automatic gun recovered at the scene belonged to the man.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mother arrested in stabbing of 2 sons
- Underage drinking hosts could get fined $2,500 in Mequon
- River Hills approves bow hunting restrictions
- Brown Deer Road meeting is July 30
- City wants former foundry redeveloped
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator