A 70-year-old man killed himself outside Village Hall Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
Police Lt. Ron Stefanski said the man, a village resident, was suffering from a painful illness but, as far as the department knows, left no notes. His wife told police he left the house to pick up more pain medication.
A village employee looked out of his office at 12:50 p.m. and saw the man lying on the ground next to a picnic table on the north side of the building. He went outside to check on the man, saw blood and a gun, and called police.
Stefanski said the North Shore Fire Department was called, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the .380-caliber semi-automatic gun recovered at the scene belonged to the man.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood residents weigh in on master plan proposal
- What to expect on the Nov. 4 ballot
- Learning is sweet for students when Stacy Leuty is in the classroom
- Taxes to go down for Falls school district residents
- Orphaned Griebel children adopted by aunt, uncle
- U.S. Department of Labor fines local company more than $130,000 for violations, endangering employee
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: October 30, 2014
- West Allis Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- New Berlin police report: Oct. 30, 2014