A 70-year-old man killed himself outside Village Hall Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
Police Lt. Ron Stefanski said the man, a village resident, was suffering from a painful illness but, as far as the department knows, left no notes. His wife told police he left the house to pick up more pain medication.
A village employee looked out of his office at 12:50 p.m. and saw the man lying on the ground next to a picnic table on the north side of the building. He went outside to check on the man, saw blood and a gun, and called police.
Stefanski said the North Shore Fire Department was called, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the .380-caliber semi-automatic gun recovered at the scene belonged to the man.
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012 (3)
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February
- Newsroom leads the state in WNA contest
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016