After two years of poor weather and declining attendance, the West Allis Christmas parade is moving move back to its old time slot.
This year's parade will be held nine days before Thanksgiving, just as it was for more than 25 years prior to its move in 2007 to the first Saturday of December.
The parade is set for 7 p.m. Nov. 17 along Greenfield Avenue, from 81st to 66th streets.
Parade organizers heard from many residents who wanted it moved to its former time and date because of cold and snowy weather the previous two years, parade Chairwoman Marjorie Larson said.
Two years ago, the parade was held during a snowstorm and last year was marked by flurries and cold temperatures. Nov. 17 was one of the few dates with no other major conflicts with other events, Larson said.
The West Allis Charities, the primary organizers of the Christmas parade, is looking for volunteers to provide vehicles for the parade and to help with the event itself. Those interested can call Larson at (414) 403-1347 and should plan to attend an orientation meeting at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at City Hall, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015