A 45-year-old Brookfield man was arrested for his sixth drunken driving offense this week when he crashed into two cars after a brief high-speed pursuit.
According to town of Brookfield police reports:
An officer was driving east on Moreland Boulevard near Kossow Road about 9:20 p.m. Tuesday when a truck came up behind him at a high rate of speed, nearly rear-ending the officer's SUV.
The truck then swerved around the officer, who followed the vehicle and tried to pull it over near Bluemound and Barker roads. The man slowed down briefly but then sped off eastbound on Bluemound, nearing speeds of 90 mph.
The man then tried to turn south on Brookfield Road but couldn't control his truck and struck two other vehicles that were stopped at the traffic lights on the south side of Bluemound Road. The man's truck ended up on the lawn in front of a business on the southeast corner of the intersection.
The Brookfield man then exited his vehicle, saw the town officer approaching and fled. But an off-duty city of Brookfield police officer was in the area and pulled his vehicle in front of the man, stopping him so the town officer could take him into custody.
When asked why he fled from the traffic stop, the reportedly said, "I'm an idiot." He has five prior drunken driving convictions stretching back to 1990.
The man was arrested for drunken driving causing injury, drunken driving (6th offense), fleeing/eluding an officer causing injury, and two counts of hit-and-run. He also was cited for a seatbelt violation.
While he was being booked at the police department, the man told police he needed "to be locked up where I belong."
Blood was drawn to determine his blood-alcohol content.
The drivers of the two other vehicles - a Brookfield woman and a Pewaukee man - refused medical treatment on the scene but later visited hospitals to treat minor injuries. The Brookfield woman later told police she suffered bruises and muscle spasms.
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- 2016 Fourth of July events in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Roundup of 2016 Memorial Day events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February