An organization that tries to find homes for cats and dogs in danger of being euthanized may move to Greenfield.
On Tuesday night, the Greenfield Plan Commission favorably recommended to the Common Council that the Milwaukee Animal Rescue Center be allowed to relocate to 5101 W. Loomis Road. A public hearing will likely be set for sometime in December.
Currently located on the upper level of Southridge Mall in Greendale, which it has called home for five years, the Milwaukee Animal Rescue Center has outgrown its space.
The center proposes to convert a garage into a community clubhouse for group meetings, educational seminars and weekend dog adoptions.
The center helps humane societies and animal control agencies facing euthanizing decisions by accepting animals for care and adoption. It doesn't accept owner-surrendered animals, strays, farm animals, wildlife or exotic animals.
At part of its proposed Greenfield-based operations, adoption-ready cats would be cared for at the center while injured or young cats and dogs would be in foster care. Adoption-ready dogs would be brought to the center for appointments with potential adoptive families.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015