Discovery Parkway is the new name being pitched for the road that will connect Watertown Plank Road and Swan Boulevard on the Innovation Park campus.
After Wauwatosa officials deemed the name Technology Parkway uninspiring and too generic, city staff met with representatives from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Real Estate Foundation to brainstorm some alternatives.
"As a compromise, they have suggested Discovery Parkway," Paulette Enders, city economic development director told Community Development Committee on Tuesday.
The committee, on a 6-1 vote, accepted the suggestion and forwarded it the Common Council for consideration next week.
"It really does a good job of encapsulating everything this development is going to be about," Alderman Bobby Pantuso said.
He recalls romping around the County Grounds discovering wildlife with his family. The word "discovery" bridges the nature aspect of the butterflies and green space wit the technology, specifically the research discoveries that will be made in the buildings.
Alderman Jason Wilke was the one holdout. He was interested in finding a fitting Native American name and had been consulting cultural experts at the university for suggestions.
"A lot of things in Wisconsin have been named in honor of the people who were first here," he said.
His fellow committee members liked the idea and believed names with historical and cultural meaning could be considered as more roads are installed on the campus or as the land that was donated to become a park gets named.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: August 28, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options
- Germantown officials respond to mandated revaluation of village
- Gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood, but causes no serious problems
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- Heroin task force nails two suspects
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students