The major demolition from which The Corners will rise is set to begin.
Despite slight delays, the town of Brookfield and The Marcus Corp. are set to take a large step, as officials expect the razing of the old West Point Cinema to begin in the coming days.
"We have mobilized on the site and our contractors are setting up to start demolition," Director of Real Estate for The Marcus Corp. Katie Falvey said. "We're getting started."
Town of Brookfield Building and Zoning Administrator Gary Lake noted that the last timeline he knew of called for the process to begin in April with hopes that the project could be finished and open by fall, 2015.
"There's a lot still hanging in the wind. I haven't gotten a specific, new timeline yet," Lake said. "But it sounds like things will be starting soon."
While Falvey declined to elaborate on a specific timeline for the project, she promised big news to come in the near future.
"We have some pretty major announcements that we'll be sharing," Falvey said. "I expect to have big news within the next 30 days."
The town of Brookfield approved the project plan for The Corners and an accompanying tax-incremental financing district in February.
Lake said he believes that the severity of this year's winter may have caused complications with beginning demolition.
"They have to remove a significant amount of soil from the site and with the depth of frost last winter, the difficulty of removing that amount of soil and relocating a bunch of utilities made the April 1 start date impossible," Lake said.
While an up-to-date timeline has not yet been announced, it appears that while "in with the new" may be be a ways off, "out with the old" is about to begin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015