The major demolition from which The Corners will rise is set to begin.
Despite slight delays, the town of Brookfield and The Marcus Corp. are set to take a large step, as officials expect the razing of the old West Point Cinema to begin in the coming days.
"We have mobilized on the site and our contractors are setting up to start demolition," Director of Real Estate for The Marcus Corp. Katie Falvey said. "We're getting started."
Town of Brookfield Building and Zoning Administrator Gary Lake noted that the last timeline he knew of called for the process to begin in April with hopes that the project could be finished and open by fall, 2015.
"There's a lot still hanging in the wind. I haven't gotten a specific, new timeline yet," Lake said. "But it sounds like things will be starting soon."
While Falvey declined to elaborate on a specific timeline for the project, she promised big news to come in the near future.
"We have some pretty major announcements that we'll be sharing," Falvey said. "I expect to have big news within the next 30 days."
The town of Brookfield approved the project plan for The Corners and an accompanying tax-incremental financing district in February.
Lake said he believes that the severity of this year's winter may have caused complications with beginning demolition.
"They have to remove a significant amount of soil from the site and with the depth of frost last winter, the difficulty of removing that amount of soil and relocating a bunch of utilities made the April 1 start date impossible," Lake said.
While an up-to-date timeline has not yet been announced, it appears that while "in with the new" may be be a ways off, "out with the old" is about to begin.
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- 2016 Fourth of July events in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Roundup of 2016 Memorial Day events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February