Erin Canon, daughter of Del and Pam Canon, has been named the Distinguished Young Woman of Wauwatosa and will compete to become the Distinguished Young Woman of Wisconsin.
The competitions are part of a national scholarship program that promotes and rewards academics, leadership and talent. In addition to earning scholarships for college, participants learn self-confidence through public speaking and performance.
Erin attends Wauwatosa East High School, where she is a member of the National Honor Society and Key Club. A junior, she hopes to attend college and become a psychologist and art therapist.
She participates in Chamber Choir, Vocal Jazz and the Tosa East Players theater group.
She is an active member of the Mount Carmel Lutheran Church youth group, sings in the choir and has gone on several summer mission trips.
For her talent, Erin performed an original, choreographed Irish dance. She has qualified for the World Championships three times as a solo dancer, and she has received three silver medals in team dancing. She has received several gold medals in competition at the regional level.
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- 2016 Fourth of July events in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Roundup of 2016 Memorial Day events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012 (3)
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February