Erin Canon, daughter of Del and Pam Canon, has been named the Distinguished Young Woman of Wauwatosa and will compete to become the Distinguished Young Woman of Wisconsin.
The competitions are part of a national scholarship program that promotes and rewards academics, leadership and talent. In addition to earning scholarships for college, participants learn self-confidence through public speaking and performance.
Erin attends Wauwatosa East High School, where she is a member of the National Honor Society and Key Club. A junior, she hopes to attend college and become a psychologist and art therapist.
She participates in Chamber Choir, Vocal Jazz and the Tosa East Players theater group.
She is an active member of the Mount Carmel Lutheran Church youth group, sings in the choir and has gone on several summer mission trips.
For her talent, Erin performed an original, choreographed Irish dance. She has qualified for the World Championships three times as a solo dancer, and she has received three silver medals in team dancing. She has received several gold medals in competition at the regional level.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service
- Wauwatosa's city clerk works to put poll workers in place for spring election
- Three more seek seats on Wauwatosa Common Council
- Wauwatosa revaluations likely to be done closer together
- Architects present Brookfield Square plans
- On the Move: Dec. 12
- Firefighters reunite with baby born at Goerkes
- Former Brass owner reminisces in new book
- Anti-aging spa coming to Elm Grove in January