After gathering signatures Saturday and Sunday, Muskego for Ethical Government reported varying results in its efforts to recall Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti, Alderwoman Neome Schaumberg and Alderman Keith Werner.
In terms of percentages, on the low end was drive against the mayor - the group had collected only about 16 percent of the required 3,005 signatures. The group is shooting for 3,400 to give a cushion, said Lorie Oliver who is spearheading the drive. It got about 500 signatures while manning a location on Janesville Road last weekend.
The group was about half way to recalling Werner and a third of the way to recalling Schaumberg, the group reported today. It needs 360 signatures for Werner and 430 for Schaumberg, Oliver said.
The group has 60 days from when it filed with City Hall on March 29 to gather the required number of signatures.
The recall petition drive attracted opposition in the form of counter-recall proponents from Stand Up Muskego and Muskego Proud. Some held up signs to dissuade motorists from stopping and signing the recall petitions. Some motorists waiting to sign were approached in their cars, Oliver said.
At least once, police were on the scene, but did not issue citations to any of the three groups.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee-area teens aim to continue fight against teen suicide
- Brookfield aldermen to vote next week on Irgens financial aid
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 2
- Franklin Common Council approves Kayla's Krew playground site
- Franklin police report: April 2, 2015 issue
- Here's what's on the April 7 ballot in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board decides Hale overcrowding issue
- Editorial: Will history repeat itself? For the sake of the old Waukesha County Courthouse, we hope not
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish