One person was found dead Monday morning following a house fire on North 63rd Street in Brown Deer, a police spokeswoman said.
The North Shore Fire Department found the body during their secondary search of the home. There are no further details available about the deceased, and gender was not specified.
The home belongs to Ronnie Johnson, a former Milwaukee Public Schools teacher who was charged with 23 felonies in a child sex abuse case earlier this year.
Two 911 calls came over about 5 a.m. Monday morning reporting smoke and flames coming from a residence at 8581 N. 63rd St. The cause of the fire is under investigation. There was extensive damage to the home.
The North Shore Fire Department, the medical examiner's office, the ATF and the state fire marshal are on scene conducting the investigation, Lt. Lisa Kumbier with the Brown Deer Police Department said. There was a total of seven other departments that responded to the blaze including Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, Menomonee Falls, Cedarburg, Thiensville, Mequon and Germantown.
Despite frigid temperatures, crews did not have any issues with water flow as neighbors had shoveled around two hydrants on the block. There were buses on-scene to provide personnel an escape from the cold.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016
- 2015 news, business and crime year in review in suburban Milwaukee
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in December
- A roundup of 2015 holiday events in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in November
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in October (2)
- A roundup of suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country road projects delayed due to cuts in state budget
- Special Report: Flooded with Questions: North Shore suburbs five years after 2010 floods
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015