This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012
School districts have to deal with a lot, not the least of which are shooting and bomb threats.
In fact, in 2016 alone, there have been four threats of shootings or bombings in suburban Milwaukee. That includes activity at West Allis Central High School, where administrators and police officials had to deal with two bomb threats about a month apart. Officials dealt with bomb threats at the school on back-to-back days March 7 and 8.
The timeline above shows when and in what districts or schools threats have been made since 2012. The timeline covers schools in the Now Newspapers and Lake Country coverage area, which covers mainly suburban Milwaukee County and Waukesha County, plus a few other municipalities, including Germantown and Mequon.
Since 2012, there have been at least 30 threats made in that coverage area. That number increases if you include threats made in Southeastern Wisconsin outside of the Now Newspapers and Lake Country coverage area, such as one in Racine County in October 2015.
In light of the number and frequency of school threats in recent years, officials have been pushing for harsher penalties for students or other people caught giving those threats, specifically regarding school shootings. Those efforts include Oconomowoc administrators testifying in Madison and the Pewaukee police chief supporting making shooting threats a felony.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Best Summer Ever in Suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in March
- This is how many shooting and bomb threats have been made in suburban Milwaukee schools since 2012 (3)
- Netflix Queue-and-A: Local officials discuss what they’re streaming about
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in February
- Newsroom leads the state in WNA contest
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suburban Milwaukee election center 2016