A naked and crying toddler wandered into a hotel lobby after his mother left to buy cigarettes and snacks Wednesday night.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 19-year-old mother, her boyfriend and a friend checked in with the child at the Days Inn, 11811 W. Bluemound Road.
A while later, the adults left, a hotel employee told officers.
Within 20 minutes of his mother leaving, the 2-year-old boy came into the lobby. Seeing he was naked, employees found towels to wrap him in.
When the mother returned, she said she had only been gone for five minutes, having made a quick trip to a nearby gas station. Her son was sleeping when she left, so she thought he would not notice she had gone.
The employee estimated the mother's time out of the hotel at 40 minutes.
Police contacted the Bureau of Child Welfare. The toddler seemed unharmed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay School Board says radio station would be better suited for community use
- Here's what North Shore voters can expect on the April 7 election ballot
- Superintendent Lexmond leaves Shorewood for West Allis-West Milwaukee
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 2
- Shorewood planning a community-wide book discussion
- Wisconsin Lutheran College proposes selling homes now used for student housing
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session
- Whitefish Bay couple accused of public assistance fraud
- Wauwatosa News & Notes: March 26
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon looks to bring duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa