A naked and crying toddler wandered into a hotel lobby after his mother left to buy cigarettes and snacks Wednesday night.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 19-year-old mother, her boyfriend and a friend checked in with the child at the Days Inn, 11811 W. Bluemound Road.
A while later, the adults left, a hotel employee told officers.
Within 20 minutes of his mother leaving, the 2-year-old boy came into the lobby. Seeing he was naked, employees found towels to wrap him in.
When the mother returned, she said she had only been gone for five minutes, having made a quick trip to a nearby gas station. Her son was sleeping when she left, so she thought he would not notice she had gone.
The employee estimated the mother's time out of the hotel at 40 minutes.
Police contacted the Bureau of Child Welfare. The toddler seemed unharmed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown High School alumni wins gold at Warrior Games
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Brothers pave patio, walkway for veterans in Shorewood
- Cahill neighbors call foul on new field
- Mequon pecks at chicken ordinance
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout working as it should?
- The Corridor project in Brookfield criticized for height, density and its name
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue