A naked and crying toddler wandered into a hotel lobby after his mother left to buy cigarettes and snacks Wednesday night.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 19-year-old mother, her boyfriend and a friend checked in with the child at the Days Inn, 11811 W. Bluemound Road.
A while later, the adults left, a hotel employee told officers.
Within 20 minutes of his mother leaving, the 2-year-old boy came into the lobby. Seeing he was naked, employees found towels to wrap him in.
When the mother returned, she said she had only been gone for five minutes, having made a quick trip to a nearby gas station. Her son was sleeping when she left, so she thought he would not notice she had gone.
The employee estimated the mother's time out of the hotel at 40 minutes.
Police contacted the Bureau of Child Welfare. The toddler seemed unharmed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elmbrook School District's ACT composite scores remain above state average
- Luxury apartments included in next phase of Whitestone Station
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Ring in the cold: Waukesha Christmas parade planning begins
- Waukesha County exec draws up his five-year plan
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub reopens with mostly new staff in Waukesha
- Waukesha's public schools slip a bit, CMH doesn't in ACT test scores
- Habitat for Humanity's ReStore shop in Waukesha is a good deal for nonprofit, shoppers
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app